This is one heck of an easy salad to make. It relies on very fresh summer produce which happens to be all around, whether at a farmers market or at a local grocery store. So many types of heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes or Roma tomatoes at their peak of ripeness. And it’s really the only time of the year that you can find fresh figs. This Tomato, Mozzarella and Fig Salad, is served on a bed of arugula or baby lettuce and benefits from all of the great ingredients available at the end of the summer season.
As far as dressing this salad, I suggest a light touch… olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. You wouldn’t want to overpower the Tomato, Mozzarella and Figs with a heavy dressing.
The balsamic vinegar I used in this recipe is Due Vittorie Orto Gold Balsamic Vinegar of Modena. Of course, Modena being one of the most acclaimed food regions in all of Italy, known not only for its balsamic vinegar but also the region where Parmagianna Reggiano is made. And lastly, it is the birthplace of Massimo Boturra (the acclaimed “Chefs Table” chef and owner of the #1 best restaurant in the world from the S.Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants) as well as Ferrari, Maserati and Lambourgini!
I made this the other night for some friends and none of them had ever tasted a fresh fig! I love introducing new and delicious ingredients to my friends and readers!
End of summer salad.
- 8 ounces of arugula or baby lettuce
- 3–4 medium tomatoes sliced or 1 cup whole if cherry tomatoes
- 1 – 8 ounce container of Fresh Mozzarella Ciliegine (small balls)
- 8–10 fresh green or black figs cut in half lenghtwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely sliced basil
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large salad bowl, add the arugula then tomatoes, figs and mozzarella.
- Drizzle the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice over the top, add salt and pepper then toss.
- Add additional oil, vinegar, salt or pepper to taste.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix together
- Cuisine: Fresh
Keywords: salad, mozarella, figs, tomatoes, arugula