Pineapple & Shrimp Fried Rice – what a wonderful mix of flavors. First you have the combination of pineapple, shrimp and rice, then add some garlic, jalapeños, ginger, soy sauce and basil and the result is a fantastic bowl full of tropical flavors. The wonder of this recipe is that you can easily substitute the shrimp for chicken or tofu and use any vegetables you like. I ;used green beans and a bit of spinach but sometimes I add carrots, pea pods or broccoli.
With the addition of pineapple to this recipe, you do not need tons of other vegetables. Use leftover white or brown rice, if you have it, or make the rice in the morning then chill it for a couple of hours before using.
Pineapple & Shrimp Fried Rice
A terrific and quick and easy recipe.
- 3 cups cooked white jasmine, basmati or brown rice, cooked and chilled
- 2 teaspoons of peanut or other vegetable oil
- 1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp, whole
- 1 whole pineapple, diced (from 1 large fresh)
- 1 cup of green beans chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 6–8 large scallions, chopped white and half of greens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper or jalepeno, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or more
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup Thai basil or regular basil or mint, chopped and a few whole leaves for garnish
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and fish sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet, add oil, when hot, add shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked through (no gray). Remove to a bowl.
- Add another teaspoon of oil then add garlic, ginger and peppers. Stir fry for 30 seconds then add green beans, pineapple, rice and sauce mixture. Toss and cook until everything is coated with sauce and hot (4-5 minutes)
- Add scallions and shrimp then add basil
- At this point, add additional soy sauce or rice vinegar to taste.
Feel free to use other vegetables. Some vegetables, carrots or broccoli, you may need to parboil first.
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: fried rice, shrimp fried rice, shrimp, pineapple
SHARE THE RECIPE