We all like to eat a mostly healthy diet and without a doubt one of the main foods that is always on the “healthy” list is salmon. These Salmon Burgers with Spicy Sesame Mayo will make the most reluctant fish eater a fan.
Here are a few reasons to increase your consumption of salmon from healtlline.com:
- It is one of the best sources of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. Our bodies do not create this omega-3 but they are considered essential so it is recommended to have 2-3 servings of salmon per week to help fulfill this deficit.
- Omegas decrease inflammation, lower blood pressure and help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Salmon is a great source of protein.
- It is high in B vitamins and potassium which again help to control blood pressure.
Okay, so now that you know why salmon is great for you, there is the issue of making it taste as good as it is good for you. These Salmon Burgers are spiced up with green onions, capers and soy sauce then topped off with my favorite sauce: Spicy Sesame Mayo. A sauce that is great with fried shrimp or fish tacos as well.
I served these Salmon Burgers with Tomato, Mozzarella and Fig Salad, a great combination for an outdoor barbecue.
And…lucky me, I have two salmon burgers and plenty of sesame mayo left over for lunch tomorrow. I like to eat them cold on top of a green salad.
A great weeknight dinner.
- 1–1/2 pounds salmon filets
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 2–3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup panic bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whole grain buns
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Shiracha (or more if you like it very spicy)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Chop salmon into small pieces, approximately 1/4 inch.
- Place 2/3 of salmon into a bowl and finely chop the additional 1/3 salmon very finely, add to bowl.
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper.
- Form 4 patties and set aside on a plate.
- Heat a grill pan or barbecue grill. When hot, spray with oil and place salmon patties onto grill. Cook for 4 minutes then flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise, Shiracha and sesame oil together in a small bowl.
I like to have the salmon filets skinned at the market. Before cutting the salmon, check for tiny bones, usually located in 1 or 2 areas. Use your fingers or tweezers to remove.
Chop the salmon into pieces so it still resembles fish, then the finer chopping will help hold the burgers together.
Do not overcook the burgers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Fish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: healthy