If you consume as many salads and love eating salad as much as I do, it is crucial to have a variety of vinaigrettes in your repertoire. This subtle Walnut Oil Vinaigrette is simple but has more subtle flavors than the classic garlic vinaigrette. When making salad dressings, my criteria is simple: I want to be able to whip it up in a few quick minutes and keep the ingredients to a minimum.
Here are the ingredients for the Roasted Walnut Vinaigrette:
- 1 shallot
- sherry vinegar (or other vinegar)
- roasted walnut oil
That’s it! No need to use store bought dressing when homemade is this simple.
Roasted Walnut Oil is dark and viscous and can be used on its own or mixed with olive oil or sunflower seed oil.
This Walnut Oil Vinaigrette can be used on many types of salads including:
- spinach salad with mushrooms
- salads featuring fall fruits such as apples or pears
- mixed lettuces with dried cherries, walnuts and goat cheese
- room temperature steamed green beans
- The vinegar I use in this particular recipe is
For this particular recipe, I like the Alvear sherry-style vinegar. It is made with the prized Pedro Ximénez grapes from Spain. The grapes are left on the vine longer creating a raisiny sweetness and a tangy finish – a versatile vinegar with unique richness and depth.
*Some of the links on this site are affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you,
I will earn a commission if you click the product and make a purchase.
A versatile vinaigrette to dress many types of salad or steamed vegetables.
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3– 1/2 roasted walnut oil
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, place shallots, salt and vinegar and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Add Dijon, then whisk in oil until throoughly blended.
Sherry vinegar has a robust flavor, so use sparingly.
- Category: Dressing
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: roasted walnut oil, shallots, salad dressing, vinaigrette