The thing I love about cauliflower is its uncanny ability to absorb other flavors – take on other personalities like Sybil. It hides in the background letting other spices, flavors and ingredients take over. But don’t feel sorry for the lowly cauliflower especially this Roasted Cauliflower with Spices.
It has a great texture, similar to potatoes, it can be roasted, steamed, riced or puréed, braised and baked like a steak. Cauliflower is possibly the greatest low-carb vegetable ever. It has only 4 percent carbs so it is a great choice for those following a keto diet or just limiting their carbohydrates.
Roasted Cauliflower with Spices gets tossed with strips of onions, olive oil, cumin, cayenne and finally a big dash of smoked paprika to give it a warm smokey flavor. I like to serve it with Green Schug Hot Sauce, a wonderful condiment that raises the spice level exponentialy.
A great vegetarian side dish
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 large red or yellow onion, cut into 1–1/2 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1–1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wash cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Place cauliflower into a large bowl and toss with other ingredients and toss.
- Put cauliflower mixture onto a large baking sheet so it is in a single layer.
- Roast for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Big tip: when preparing cauliflower, use a knife to create florets. Having a flat surface will promote better caramelizing.