There are no words to express how much I looove this Green Schug Hot Sauce! It is a flavor explosion in your mouth. It’s herby, hot, spicy, aromatic, and citrusy – so basically it hits on all of the flavors you would want in a condiment.
Where does Schug come from?
It is a hot sauce that originated in Yemen then the recipe was carried onto Israel with the Jewish people. Schug is the Hebrew word for the sauce but is also called zhug, zhough, daqqus or in Arabic, Shawik.
What is in Schug?
Green Schug Hot Sauce is a recipe that relies on fresh green chili peppers for its heat. The base of the sauce comes from a mixture of fresh cilantro ad parsley with the addition of the classic middle eastern spice combo – cumin and coriander. The sauce is hot but can be controlled with the number of chilis you use. You mix everything together in a food processor, but maintain a bit of texture.
I made my fist batch to go along with the Healthy Vegetarian Falafel recipe. It gives the falafel a big boost of flavor and heat but this sauce would also be terrific on: eggs, grilled bread, chicken, or vegetables. Check out this Roasted Cauliflower served with Schug..
You will want to put this on everything!
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2–4 Serrano chilis, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2–3 garlic cloves, depending on size
- Large bunch of parsley, large stems removed
- Large bunch of cilantro including stems
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, toast cumin and coriander in a small skillet until fragrant then muddle with a mortar and pestle or grind in a spice grinder.
- Place cilantro, into food processor and pulse for a couple of seconds then add parsley, spices, lemon zest and juice and salt. Pulse for about 10 seconds until it forms a coarse mixture.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil with the motor running. Continue until you have a nice, textured puree.
- Finish with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: NA
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Schug, sauce, condiment, hot sauce, spicy