My Vegan Split Pea Soup is a quick and easy one to throw together. I had made some vegetable stock and needed to use it up, so I grabbed the remaining half of a package of split peas that I had and I always have celery, carrots, onions and garlic so hello pantry friendly soup! I absolutely love when I can make something out of nothing – or at least without another trip to the market!
So many traditional split pea soups call for ham or bacon to imbibe the soup with flavor. However, this soup is a simple preparation and lightly spiced with cumin and smoked paprika to give it its smoky, subtle flavor. Another seasoning I like to use in soups is Bragg Liquid Aminos. It is an alternative to soy sauce with a unique savory umami flavor but the two can be used interchangeably. Both add salt to the recipe so you will not need much additional salt.Print
Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A quick pantry-friendly recipe.
- 1 red or yellow onion, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups split peas
- 6–7 cups easy vegetable stock, store bought stock, (or a mixture of stock and water)
- 1 –1/2 tablespoons liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the stock in a small pan.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pan, when hot add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add split peas and stir into the vegetables then add liquid aminos and 5 cups of the stock.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat to medium low and continue cooking until the peas are very soft (50-60 minutes). Continue adding stock or water 1 cup at a time if the liquids get absorbed.
- When the peas are soft, stir in vinegar and paprika.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
SHARE THE RECIPE