How happy was I when I opened my refrigerator today and saw the Tomatillo Salsa Verde I had whipped up yesterday. I was able to make a perfect lunch with a hodgepodge of ingredients from my fridge and cupboard. These Veggie Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa Verde can be thrown together with a variety of vegetables, lettuces, beans and cheese.
What I used in today’s tacos:
I found some corn tortillas in the freezer, a can of black beans in the cupboard, arugula, avocado, purple cabbage and cheddar cheese in the fridge and a couple of radishes from my garden –yay!! This little lunch would have been perfectly good without the Salsa Verde but so much better with it.
A perfect example of a pantry-friendly recipe. I planned ahead, stocked my cupboard and freezer with items for future use and they were there in my time of need.
Other veggie combos:
• raw shredded or sautéed zucchini, spinach leaves, avocado and feta cheese with white beans and salsa verde
• whole grain tortilla with refried beans, cheddar cheese, arugula and salsa verde
For non vegetarians:
• add leftover chicken or steak to any of the above combinationsPrint
A super quick meal that can be thrown together from the ingredients you have in your cupboard.
- 4 small tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- Heat up a large skillet on stove
- Place the tortillas on hot skillet and add shredded cheese, cover with lid to melt.
- Remove tortillas and place 2 per plate, add beans (I used room temp but you could heat up if desired), a handful of arugula, 2 slices of avocado, radishes and 2-3 spoonfuls salsa verde.
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican pantry
Keywords: mexican, black beans, tacos, vegetarian, vegetables, cheddar cheese