Love this little green sauce. There are many reasons to covet this Tomatillo Salsa Verde, here are just a few:
• It can be whipped up in 15-20 minutes
• The tangy and citrusy flavor will brighten up anything that you put it on
• It will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator
• This sauce works as a dip with chips, as a topping for tacos, chicken, fish or meat
If you’ve never seen one, they are very cute – green, shaped like a tomato but covered with a paper-like husk which gets removed before roasting. The flavor of tomatillos is tangy and citrusy and this salsa is a more subtle replacement for spicier salsas or pico de gallo.
Whenever you use jalapeños or peppers in your cooking, it is important to remember that the heat varies from pepper to pepper. Start with half of a jalapeño then add more once you taste the sauce. If you don’t care for super spicy food, remove the seeds before adding.
I roasted the onion with the tomatillos to slightly soften the texture and flavor. It doesn’t roast as long as you would normally roast an onion.
I add the garlic as is, raw and full of flavor.
Of course, the lime will just add to the citrus and tang!
Check out my recipe for a quick lunch Veggie Tacos with Salsa Verde.
Roasted tomatillo sauce to put on everything!!
- 8 medium tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1–2 jalapeños
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on broiler, place grate 6-8 inches from flame.
- Remove husks from tomatillos and cut in half.
- Cut onion into 3-4 thick slices, so they are in rings.
- Place tomatillos, onion and jalapeño on a baking sheet lined with foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place into oven and broil for 10 minutes until vegetables start to brown, remove from oven.
- Let cool slightly then roughly cut onion and jalapeño.
- Add vegetables to a blender or food processor along with garlic and lime, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and mix for 10-15 seconds until everything is combined. It does not need to be too smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican-Healthy
Keywords: tomatillos, sauce, condiment, salsa, vegan, vegetarian, mexican salsa