Since I’ve been home for 6 or 7 weeks “sheltering in place” I’ve been having fantasies of lounging in Costa Rica with my best friend Liz, sipping on this Smoky Paloma Cocktail, looking out at the ocean! Since that won’t be happening in the near future, I will have to enjoy my beautiful backyard and work on perfecting my mixology skills!
When I dine out at a restaurant, I find that the specialty cocktails tend to be too sweet for my taste. That is the beauty of making cocktails at home – total control over the quality and sweetness of the final product.
This Smoky Paloma Cocktail is a great spin on the classic Paloma which uses regular tequila. Here, the smoky flavor of the Mezcal liquor adds an unusual smoky flavor profile that you do not find in other liquors – and you can’t beat anything that has fresh grapefruit juice as one of its ingredients.
I do not know much about Mezcal but may have to do a little research now… The one I used in this recipe is Madre Mezcal. It was given to me on my birthday and I absolutely love the packaging as well as the flavor.
Enjoy this luscious drink with Frico Cheese Crisps!Print
- 2 ounces Mezcal
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 ounces of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Splash of club soda or Italian grapefruit soda
- Tajin or Lawry’s Chili & Lime seasoning
- Take 1/2 of lime, run around the lip of the glass then roll the rim in a plate of the chili & lime seasoning.
- Pour all ingredients except soda into a shaker filled with ice. Shake and pour drink with the ice into a glass then top off with a splash of soda.
If you do not have the chili lime salt you can make your own with chili powder and salt or just use regular salt.
- Category: Cocktails
Keywords: cocktails, mezcal drink, mezcal, tequila, lime cocktail,