Everyone and their grandmother has a banana bread recipe that they love…
My Banana Bread happens to be my favorite banana bread but it is constantly evolving. The original recipe came from “How to Cook Everything” by Mark Bittman which is one of my favorite cookbooks. One of my favorite things about this recipe is the addition of shredded coconut because it adds sweetness, texture and crunch to the final product.
Making simple adjustments for a healthier product.
With a couple of minor adjustments I have made My Banana Bread healthier without losing any of the flavor. I replaced the sugar with a combo of maple syrup and honey and used a bit more whole wheat flour and less all purpose flour or sometimes I substitute coconut oil for butter which enhances the shredded aspect of the bread.
What should I do with those dark brown bananas?
Super ripe bananas are key in all banana bread recipes. There are always a few bananas that become so dark with brown spots so I will peel and freeze them for later use. When you remove the bananas from the freezer, place them in a strainer over a bowl and as they defrost the excess liquid will fall into the bowl and they will be ready to use in your recipe.
Another great tip.
Mash the bananas in a stand mixer to save time (thank you to Sally’s Baking Addiction). Place them in the bowl of the mixer and mix on low speed slowly increasing the speed to medium-high and continue until smooth. Remove the bananas and place in another bowl and continue the steps of the recipe in the mixer without needing to wash it.
My Banana Bread
- Total Time: 59 minute
- 8 tablespoons, 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 extremely ripe bananas, mashed until very smooth
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Cream the butter then beat in the eggs, one at a time, add bananas. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients; do not mix too much. Next, stir in the vanilla, nuts and coconut.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 45-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick or sharp knife into the center of the bread and if it comes out clean the bread is done. Do not overcook.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Category: Baked Goods
- Method: Oven
SHARE THE RECIPE