I wanted to find the most tested as well as tasty recipe for my chicken stock so I turned to who else but the chefs from Cooks Illustrated and the book “The Best Recipe”. They tried numerous variations when trying to come up with a flavorful and quick chicken stock.
Rather than using a whole chicken, this chicken stock is made with backs and wing tips or chicken legs. I happened to use backs and wings this time but they all work and in the end create a very flavorful broth for the base of many soup recipes. This preparation delivers plenty of flavor in 40 minutes – a fraction of the time required to make a traditional chicken broth.
The recipe calls for cutting up the chicken pieces into 2-inch pieces. However, if you do not have a meat cleaver, you may want to ask the butcher to do this part for you. The other option is to use chicken legs which are cooked whole and will have an equal amount of flavor.Print
A 40 minute solution for full-flavored chicken stock.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into medium dice (1/2-inch)
- 4 pounds of chicken parts (backs, wing tips, legs)
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stock pot, add onion and sauté until colored and softened slightly, 5 minutes or so. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl.
- Add half of the chicken pieces to pot, sauté until they are no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Remove to the bowl with the onions and repeat with the remainder of the chicken pieces. When the second batch of chicken is done, return all of the onions and chicken pieces to the pan, reduce heat to low and cook until chicken release its juices, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add boiling water, salt and bay leaves. Return to a simmer, then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard solids. When the broth cools, skim off the fat and save or later. Broth will stay in refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for several months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: chicken stock, soup, soup stock, chicken