A 40 minute solution for full-flavored chicken stock.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into medium dice (1/2-inch)
- 4 pounds of chicken parts (backs, wing tips, legs)
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stock pot, add onion and sauté until colored and softened slightly, 5 minutes or so. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl.
- Add half of the chicken pieces to pot, sauté until they are no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Remove to the bowl with the onions and repeat with the remainder of the chicken pieces. When the second batch of chicken is done, return all of the onions and chicken pieces to the pan, reduce heat to low and cook until chicken release its juices, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add boiling water, salt and bay leaves. Return to a simmer, then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard solids. When the broth cools, skim off the fat and save or later. Broth will stay in refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for several months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: chicken stock, soup, soup stock, chicken