As much as I love a classic chicken noodle soup (Jewish penicillin), my default always leans towards spicier flavors. Hence, this Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup which is so fabulous that I could eat it morning, noon and night!!
I started out making a flavorful but quick chicken stock, a recipe from “The Best Recipe” by the editors of Cooks Illustrated. Of course, you could always use a store-bought chicken broth of your choice, then this recipe becomes really easy.
Next, there is a long list of ingredients that I added because I was planning to make this soup and had everything that I had been craving on hand. The main ingredients that create this Asian-Style Soup are ginger, fish sauce, lemongrass or fresh lime juice, peppers, fresh cilantro and basil. You can pick and choose depending on your tastes and what you have on hand.
Here are the ingredients that I used:
- minced ginger
- bunapi mushrooms
- Thai fish sauce
- red pepper sauce
- Thai Basil
- sesame oil
These are a few other ingredients you might consider adding:
- chili oil
- pea pods
- pre-made rotisserie chicken
- toasted sesame seeds
- additional chili paste
This soup can easily be made into a vegan soup by using my Easy Vegetable Stock and leaving out the fish sauce. After that, add any of the suggested ingredients to create this warm bowl of scrumptious soup.Print
Chicken noodle soup with a kick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 2-inch slices 1/2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper paste
- 6–8 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large handfuls small leaf spinach
- 12–16-ounces of noodles of your choice: udon, wide egg noodles, soba noodles
- 1–2 limes
- green onions
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- basil, cut into thin ribbons with scissors
- jalapeño, sliced thinly
- teaspoon sesame oil or spicy sesame oil
- Heat a large soup pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil, when hot, add onions and salt. Stir and sauté for 8 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and red pepper paste, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add stock, lemongrass, fish sauce and brown sugar and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer. Add chicken pieces and cook for 6-7 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked through. If using cooked rotisserie chicken, add and cook until warm, 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach just before serving.
- Cook noodles in a separate sauce pan until al dente because they will continue to cook once added to the soup.
Place noodles into a soup bowl, pour soup on top, swirl the sesame oil on top, then add the herbs, jalapeños and green onions.
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian