Here is a great recipe that is quick, light and keto friendly. You’ve probably had Chicken Lettuce Wraps at a restaurant somewhere but had no idea how simple they are to throw together.
Since I’ve been trying to avoid bread, pasta and rice these days, I’ve had to make up for the loss of starch with an abundance of flavor and spice.
These little Chicken Lettuce wraps are filled with:
- Spices (garlic, red pepper sauce)
- Fresh herbs (a mixture of basil, mint and/or cilantro)
- Crunch (jicama and red cabbage)
- Seasonings (soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, Shiracha)
The final product is actually more like a ground chicken-salad-lettuce taco! No…not taco…burrito…but it’s Asian flavors…just a delicious lunch or dinner!
All of the ingredients used in this recipe are things that I always have on hand and many of my recipes utilize them. Condiments such as soy sauce, Sambal Olek and toasted sesame oil are used throughout my blog and you should consider stocking them in your pantry. Cooking is much more enjoyable when you have many of the items on hand!!
Make these when you want a light and healthy lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut, grapeseed, or olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or finely chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken thighs
- 2–3 teaspoons red pepper sauce (Sambal Olek)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly (white and half of greens)
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup jicama, cut into 1/2-inch matchsticks
- 3–4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup loosely packed herbs (combo of basil, mint, cilantro)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Head of butter lettuce (or red or iceberg lettuce)
- Wash lettuce then separate the leaves and place on a couple of paper towels to drain.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil. When hot, add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, break it up with a spatula or fork, add red pepper sauce and salt, stir, then let cook but continue to break it up until the chicken is in small pieces.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, add soy sauce and sesame oil, stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add green onions and cabbage and herbs, stir and cook until done (1 more minute)
- Let cool slightly, then fill individual leaves with a few spoonfuls of the chicken.
- Serve with Shiracha on the side for extra spice.
- Eat like a taco, with your hands.
A couple of notes…this dish can be made with less ingredients or substituting ingredients. Any of the herbs will work on their own. If you don’t have jicama, no big deal. I like the crunch but it is not necessary, same for the cabbage. Experiment adding other ingredients such as sliced spinach while the chicken is cooking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: chicken wraps, chicken, lettuce cups, keto, healthy