If you’re like me, pizza is one of those foods that you could eat everyday but of course you never would. I have come up with this molto delizioso soup which I call Pizza in a Bowl and you can definitely eat this one every day without the guilt.
I start with a delicious tomato base with lots of oregano. Next, I add Italian chicken sausage, tiny balls of mozzarella, black olives and finally, finish it off with a fresh basil chiffonade. Fortunately, this soup is low in calories and carbs and it really tastes like pizza – especially with the croutons (recipe below).
The variations are endless depending on how you like your pizza. Consider the following options:
- Artichokes and Parmesan
- Bell peppers, mushrooms, olives and feta cheese
- Pepperoni and sausage
- Anchovies anyone???
Once you have the soup base down, just experiment with the additions and have fun.
And for a complete healthy meal, serve this soup with an Italian Tricolore Salad or the Radicchio Salad.Print
Pizza in a Bowl
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian raw chicken or pork sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 – 28 oz. cans Italian tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/4–1/2 inch diagonal pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Cut the end of the sausages and squeeze out the meat into a bowl.
- Heat a large soup pan, add olive oil, when hot add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, then add garlic and sausage. Stir and break up the sausage into small pieces with a firm spoon. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock or water and oregano, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil then turn heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Blend half the soup in batches, then add back to the soup pan.
- Add the mozzarella and basil, stir and serve in large soup bowls with croutons.
- Preheat the broiler or toaster oven.
- Mix olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl, set aside.
- Place bread on a cooking sheet in a single layer, place under the broiler, 8-inches from flame. Cook until golden brown and toasty. Watch carefully because this will happen quickly. Remove from heat and flip pieces over.
- On the untested side of the bread, brush lightly with the oil mixture then sprinkle with Parmesan. Place back under the broiler for a few minutes until they look golden and toasty.
SHARE THE RECIPE