On a recent trip to the market, I happened to pick up some mushrooms – large portabellas and a few shiitakes. This Mushroom Frittata with Gruyere and a touch of fresh mint leaves is the recipe where those mushrooms ended up.
If you find yourself at a Farmers Market, pick up a couple handfuls of wild mushrooms. The different shapes, sizes and textures would really add character to this frittata.
Why I love frittatas:
- They can be made with ingredients you have in your fridge or cupboard
- Putting it together only takes 10-15 minutes from start to finish
- Make it today, eat it tomorrow
- If you are watching your carb intake, this has no crust, just eggs and vegetables
- Perfect for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner
For another variation try my Asparagus and Parmesan Frittata. Of course, you can always vary the type of cheese you use as well as the herbs. Never hold back on this type of recipe because you are missing an ingredient. Eggs, vegetables, cheddar, swiss, Parmesan, feta, vegan cheese, mint, basil, oregano will all work here, so let’s go.Print
Great make-ahead, pantry-friendly recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1–1/2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 large shallot, diced finely
- 8 thin asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces, steamed
- 1/2 zucchini cut into quarters then diced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan or a combination
- 3–4 leaves of basil chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Slightly steam the asparagus for 3 minutes then drain.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl, add milk, a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix until blended, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan on medium-high heat then add olive oil/butter. When hot, add shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes until transluscent.
- Add zucchini and sauté for 4 minutes then add asparagus.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and reduce heat to a medium to low flame. Let eggs set on the bottom, approximately 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of eggs then place the skillet under the broiler, 7-8 inches from the flame and cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the frittata because it will brown quickly. Remove when the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with basil chiffonade.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Light dinner
- Method: Stovetop & Broiler
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: frittata, omlette, eggs, mushrooms, Gruyere cheese