This recipe has been adapted from the Jicama and Grapefruit Salad at the Slanted Door in San Fransisco. It is one of my favorite restaurants in the bay area featuring modern Vietnamese cuisine.
I am always on the lookout for new ingredients to spruce-up a salad and even though Jicama has always been a vegetable I liked, I never thought of shredding it into a salad.
Jicama and Grapefruit Salad is for you only if you like a salad that is: crunchy, salty, sweet, tart and a tad spicy.
Red cabbage, carrots and jicama add the crunch. Pecans cooked with sugar, salt and chili add sweet and spice. And finally, the dressing with soy, garlic, sugar, balsamic vinegar and lime round out the rest of the flavors. Oh, and finally, the addition of pink grapefruit, which adds the finishing touch to this flavor-bomb of a salad!
A salad for vegans or non-vegans
For vegans, this salad along with some vegetable fried rice would be the perfect meal. On the other hand, if you are not a vegan I would suggest the addition of roasted chicken or grilled shrimp for protein and enjoy as a light meal.
I would suggest one of these rum cocktails to kick-start your meal –Print
A crunchy, sweet, spicy, tangy, tart salad.
- 1/2 red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of canola or other neutral oil
- 3/4 cup of pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less)
- 1 medium jicama, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded or cut into think matchsticks
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 pink grapefruits, skin and membranes removed, cut into segments
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place shredded cabbage and salt in a bowl filled with water. Set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Place pecans in a medium skillet and toast over medium heat until they become fragrant (5-6 minutes). Watch closely so they do not burn. Once they are toasted, add oil and shake pan to coat then add sugar and cook over medium heat until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Turn heat off then toss in salt and chili pepper.
- Make dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Drain the cabbage well then wrap in a dishtowel to absorb excess moisture.
- Mix cabbage, carrots and jicama in a large bowl then toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Pour the dressing over and mix well. Add half of the pecans, mint and grapefruit and mix gently. Use the rest of the ingredients to garnish the plated salads.
Use a mandolin or knife to shred the cabbage finely. Use a food processor to shred the jicama and carrots or cut into matchsticks.
Ultimately for the grapefruit, trim off all skin, pith and membrane, then slice out the sections or for an easier preparation, one the skin and pith is cut off, slice the grapefruit crossways then into smaller segments.