My family thinks I am the pickiest eater in the world! Well, there is a bit of truth to that statement but I like to think that I just have discerning tastes. I don’t care for anything too sweet or too flavored so that is why I make my own Homemade Coconut Granola.
I like to add a good amount of coconut flakes along with coconut oil to get that super coconut-y flavor. I also love dried fruit so this time I used dried cherries but sometimes like to add dried apricots to this recipe.
The thing about granola is that you can tailor it to your exact palate.
- Do you like cashews and almonds but not walnuts?
- Do you love nutmeg but not cinnamon?
- Do you not eat white sugar but like maple syrup?
- Are you gluten-free?
Well, those are just a few of the options for customizing your granola. Here are some other ideas:
Orange and almond (use zest from 2 oranges)
Autumn Spice – Use 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and add cranberries
Other ingredients to add:
- Dried apricots
- Dried cranberries
- Golden raisins
- Carob chips
- Chia seeds
Serve this granola sprinkled on top of a bowl of fresh berries, bananas and fresh yogurt or just with milk.
A granola just for you!
- 3 cups oatmeal (regular or gluten-free, not quick oats)
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–1/2 cups nuts (a mixture of raw almonds, cashews, walnuts)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, coconut flakes, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Stir thoroughly to coat oats and coconut flakes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment then spread granola in a single layer but tightly packed . Place in oven for 10 minutes, then turn over with a spatula and mix in the nuts. Do not break it up when you turn over because you want to create chunks that will stick together.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let granola completely cool on baking sheet 1-2 hours then break up into chunks and add dried cherries. Store in an air-tight container.