There is such an abundance of zucchini throughout the summer, and endless possibilities for preparing it. The recipe for these Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms uses the beautiful yellow blossoms as well as the small vegetable attached at the base. Just the idea of cooking and eating flowers makes me so happy!
The preparation of these Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms is fairly simple, just mix a few ingredients together then after that, and with a touch of patience and a delicate touch, stuff the blossoms. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to do. Finally place the zucchini blossoms into a baking dish, pop into the oven and bake.
In my garden, I am growing a couple types of zucchini and was able to harvest a few blossoms but for this preparation, I needed 14-16 so I picked up a bag of zucchini blossoms at the Culver City Farmers Market.
This is recipe is based on one I found in an old Bon Appétit magazine which featured all things Italian. Many Stuffed Zucchini recipes are stuffed with cheese and fried but I prefer this lighter, healthier baked preparation.
A beautiful presentation of summer zucchini blossoms
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 baby zucchini with blossoms
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Coat a baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil. (approximately 13 x 9 x 2 inch)
- Heat a large skillet with 5 tablespoons oil, add onion and sauce until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add breadcrumbs and thyme and cook for approximately 3 minutes until breadcrumbs are slightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, cheese, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Fill zucchini blossoms with crumb mixture using 2 teaspoons for small blossoms, 1 tablespoon for larger ones.
- Place into baking dish atop remaining breadcrumb mixture (save a few spoonfuls for the top).
- Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil all over zucchini.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Washing blossoms – gently wash in cold water, open blossoms to remove any bugs or dirt.
To stuff blossoms, open the blossom if closed. With a small pair of sizers, you can gently cut from tip of blossom towards base them open and remove the small stamin.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian