A lovely Lemon Risotto with scallions, basil and English peas is much lighter than your usual risotto. As with all risotto recipes, it is easy to prepare and a simple a process, on the other hand, it takes a bit of patience because you will have to stay nearby to stir it throughout the process of cooking – about 30 minutes.
Before I ever attempted to make risotto, I thought it was filled with cream and cheese and other heavy ingredients. But the main ingredients are simple: Arborio rice, vegetable or chicken broth, onion and white wine. Then you can add specific ingredients such as mushrooms, broccoli, shrimp or lobster, even bacon. In addition, you will usually add some type of cheese, usually Parmesan but you may try cheddar or fontina.
I like to serve this as a side dish with a piece of fish or grilled chicken & vegetables. The lemon risotto will compliment anything that it is served with.
I have adapted this dish from a recipe by Deborah Madison from “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” which was my bible when I learned how to cook and was still a vegetarian. I still refer to recipes from this book 25 years later.Print
A risotto filled with spring flavors.
- 1–1/2 cups arborio rice, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bunches scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup English peas, fresh or frozen
- Zest from 1–1/2 lemons
- 1/2 cup basil chiffonade
- 1/2 cup Parmesan plus more for finishing
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté scallions in 2 tablespoons of oil until tender. Move to a plate to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable broth, keep at a low simmer.
- In a deep skillet, heat up 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and sauté on medium heat until translucent. Add rice and stir to coat.
- Add white wine and cook until absorbed then add 1 cup of warm broth. Stir until absorbed. Continue adding broth in 1/2-1 cup increments and stirring. After 20-25 minutes the rice will thicken and start to get a creamy texture.
- Stir in peas and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Taste to make sure it’s done. Then add peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add lemon zest, scallions, cheese and basil and stir to combine.
- Serve in bowls with shavings of Parmesan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian