When I look at a platter of grilled vegetables it is as if I am looking at a reflection of summer – grilling, outdoor life and light clean meals. This Grilled Vegetable Platter with Romesco is one of those dishes that goes with everything and looks so beautiful on the table.
Thank you vegetables for being so colorful and photogenic.
I know there a lot of eggplant haters out there, my husband being one of them. My attempts at converting him, have not worked. One important factor to making eggplant taste great is to cook it long enough so it softens and doesn’t have a rubbery texture, so cooking thoroughly is the key.
This entire platter of Grilled Vegetable Platter with Romesco can be cooked on the grill and only takes about 20 minutes to prep and cook. Toss whole bell peppers on the grill first and rotate them until charred and black. Next, the eggplant slices and rounds of onion go on the grill and cook for about 10-12 minutes and last but not least, the zucchini goes on and only cooks for about 5 minutes.
What do I serve this with, you ask?
I like this dish alongside grilled fish, steak or chicken. The Romesco tastes great on bread too and the next day I will make a Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with the leftovers.
The Romesco sauce will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
By the way, if you want to have an optional sauce to serve along with the Romesco, the vegetables would taste great with the Magical Green Cilantro Sauce.Print
Lovely grilled vegetables
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 zucchini
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 red onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup of blanched (no skin) almonds
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of Sherry vinegar
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat outdoor grill.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds and zucchini into long strips, 1/4-inch thick and cut onions into 1/2-inch rounds. Brush with olive oil.
- Place red peppers directly on grill. Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until charred and black on all sizes. Remove and place into a bowl and cover for 10-15 minutes.
- Place other vegetables on the grill. Turn the eggplant, onions and zucchini after 5-6 minutes. Zucchini should be ready after 2-3 minutes, the eggplant and onions will take another 5-6 minutes.
- Peel black charred skin off of peppers and remove seeds. Cut one pepper and set aside for the vegetable plate. Cut the other one and place into blender along with garlic, breadcrumbs , almonds, paprika, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Blend to combine into a paste. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
You can use a grill pan to grill the eggplant and zucchini.
The red pepper can be cooked directly on the flame of the stove top until it is charred or you can place on a baking sheet and bake at 400º for 20-30 minutes or until the pepper is very soft. Continue as above.
You can use a combination of nuts in this recipe: 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup hazelnuts, pine nuts or walnuts
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: Grilled Vegetables, Romesco Sauce, Red Bell Peppers, Eggplant, Zucchini, Red Onion