Just finished whipping up a big pitcher of Yotam Ottolenghi’s Green Gazpacho with Croutons from his wonderful book “Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi.” It is a beautiful book featuring all vegetarian recipes that he created for the Guardian column he wrote on vegetables.
This recipe is a great spin on the usual gazpacho featuring tomatoes. Instead, it features all things green: celery, cucumbers, green bell pepper, spinach, basil plus the addition of walnuts and a couple slices of bread to give it some texture and heft and a few other ingredients as well. I have made some simple adjustments to the original recipe.
I have made a few gazpacho variations, all quite good. It’s just a matter of getting the basics down then adding other vegetables you like such as avocado, onion, green onions or varying the herbs.Print
A cool vegetable soup.
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 2 English hothouse cucumbers or 6 Persian cucumbers, peeled
- 3 slices stale white bread, crusts removed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded (more or less depending on your taste)
- 2–4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, slightly toasted
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup basil
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1–1/2 cups water or a bit more
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces Ice
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut bread into small 3/4 inch pieces, toss with the olive oil and salt. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
- Roughly chop all vegetables. Place into a blender with the bread, sugar, walnuts, spinach, basil, parsley, vinegar, olive oil and water. Mix then add ice and blend again until you have a somewhat smooth consistency. Taste soup then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the croutons on top
Serve in small bowls or in clear glasses.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Cuisine: Soup
Keywords: soup, gazpacho, green gazpacho, cold soup