This Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup has made it to the top of my cauliflower recipes. I love the way cauliflower takes on different spices and flavors making it an extremely versatile vegetable to cook with. For example, it can be steamed or sautéed, it can be used with Indian, Mexican or Asian flavors. Most importantly, it will take on any spices you throw at it – but this simple soup recipe which roasts the cauliflower, is definitely one of my favorites.
I knew I was on to something when my husband, not a huge cauliflower fan, tasted this soup and wanted a bowl then asked for a second serving.
Its not only creamy and delicious but this soup is also vegan
NO CREAM, MILK, BUTTER OR HIGH-CALORIE INGREDIENTS– REALLY! This Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup is subtle, satisfying and a tad French. In other words, the sum of the ingredients is much greater than its parts. It is simple to prepare with luxurious flavors and a silky smooth texture.
Roasting the cauliflower for added flavor
Roasting the cauliflower in olive oil before combining it with the other ingredients is the key. It is well worth the additional time (20-25 minutes) because it is the ultimate factor in creating a soup with this depth of flavor. It also lends the final bowl of soup a nice tan color and looks beautiful in the bowl.
Homemade Stock for Maximum Flavor
Because there are only a few ingredients in this recipe, every ingredient is extremely important. My suggestion is to make the easy homemade vegetable stock while the cauliflower is roasting in the oven.
But don’t stress… store bought stock will be just fine if you do not have the time or inclination to make your own. This is one that I like: Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth available at Amazon or Whole Foods.Print
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- Juice from a 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Wash and trim the cauliflower, break or cut into small to medium florets. Place in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the oil and a couple pinches of salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until nicely browned around the edges.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep soup pan then add onions. Sautée for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme leaves and continue to sauté for another 10 minutes.
- The cauliflower should be ready. Add it to the pan along with the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn heat to medium and continue cooking for another 20 minutes then let cool.
- Blend the soup in a blender in several batches. If you put too much into the blender and if it is at all hot, you will have an explosion of soup all over the kitchen. Blend on a medium to high speed for 30-45 seconds so you can get a nice smooth and creamy texture. Once everything is blended pour back into the soup pot.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and fresh ground pepper.
- For serving, finish with fresh herbs, siracha and/or toasted breadcrumbs.
Parsley, cilantro or chives
Fresh croutons for texture
Siracha for some zing!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Bake & Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: Soup, Cauliflower, Cauliflower soup, Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy