It’s warm, it’s creamy, it’s cheesy… and it’s light! Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Parmesan is a lighter version of the usual cream of broccoli soup. I like to use a combination of cheddar and Parmesan cheese to get a sharp cheesy vibe going. In addition to the cheese, I use a small amount of whole milk rather than cream because that is all it needs.
I also use the easy vegetable stock here because I have not found a store-bought vegetable stock that I like yet. It only takes a few minutes to prep the vegetables then it simmers for 25 minutes. The stock can be made as you are prepping the soup ingredients as well, made a day or two in advance or can be frozen in ice cube trays for later use.
Now if you are not up for the “from scratch” stock (no judgement here), I suggest using chicken stock from the store. Whichever you choose, I know you will end up with a warm bowl of deliciousness.
Lastly, when I serve this Broccoli Soup, I like to shave a little extra Parmesan on top because why not and maybe sprinkle a few red pepper flakes too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cups veggie broth or chicken broth
- 1–1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1–1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Wash broccoli, separate florets from stalk. Shave off outer 1/8-inch of tough stem then roughly chop stems into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat a large deep pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and when hot add onions and salt. Sauté for 10-12 minutes.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute then add broth and broccoli stems. Raise flame to high and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli stems are soft.
- Add broccoli florets and cook for 6-7 minutes more. Remove 1/2 of the broccoli florets and set aside in a bowl. Let soup cool slightly then purée in a blender in batches. (Don’t fill the blender more than halfway). Blend each batch for approximately 30 seconds until smooth.
- Place soup into a clean soup pan over low heat, then stir in milk, cheddar and 1/2 cup of Parmesan until incorporated. Save the rest of the Parmesan for finishing.
- Taste the soup then add additional salt to taste and about 20 twists of freshly ground pepper.
- Just before serving, stir broccoli florets back into the soup.
- Serve in a soup bowl with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan and some red pepper flakes (optional).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: Broccoli soup, cream of broccoli soup, broccoli, soup, vegetarian