Okay, this is a ridiculously quick and easy soup to make. Autumn Pumpkin Chipotle Soup has minimal ingredients and can be made in under 60 minutes.
Brimming with fall flavor, you will feel instant coziness when you taste it. It will get you into the fall mood even if the weather says something else.
Originally, I was going for a gingery curry kind of vibe but in my mind I had a big piece of fresh ginger in the fridge, then realized that was not the case. So my challenge became, what could I do with the roasted pumpkin and whatever ingredients I had on hand becauseI just couldn’t fathom making another trip to the market. Then I decided to use as few ingredients as possible as an experiment.
So, here’s what’s in it:
- a cute little pumpkin from the farmers market
- olive oil or butter
- an onion
- garlic, of course
- chipotle in adobo sauce
- cumin and garam masala
- salt and pepper
That’s it! And it turned out great and was bursting with autumn flavor too! Make sure to use a cooking pumpkin, not the large carving kind.
Serve this delicious spicy soup with the Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad – a perfect companion.
Welcome to fall.
- 1 small pumpkin (2–1/2 pound)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 chipotles in adobo with a little sauce (depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock (I used water)
- 1–2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Cut each half into 3 equal pieces. Rub with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and roast for 30 minutes until edges start to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep soup pot, add 2 teaspoons olive oil, then add onions ad cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle and spices, stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add pumpkin and water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes then blend in a blender in batches or use an immersion blender.
- Return to pot, taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a small skillet with oil, add seeds and stir to coat all.
- Add sugar and salt and stir until sugar begins to caramelize and turn brown. Remove from heat and stir in honey.
- Place on a plate to cool.
Depending on the size of the pumpkin, you may need to add additional water.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Oven & stove
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: pumpkin soup, soup, pumpkin seeds, chipotle, fall recipe