Brimming with flavor, you will feel instant coziness when you taste this Winter Squash and Chipotle Soup. I picked up this particular red kuri squash from the Culver City Farmers Market last week. This soup can be made with kabocha squash or a sugar pumpkin as well.
The preparation of this soup is ridiculously quick and easy. It uses minimal ingredients and can be made in under 60 minutes.
Originally, I was going for a gingery curry kind of vibe but in my mind I had a big piece of fresh ginger in the fridge, then realized that was not the case. So my challenge became, what could I do with the roasted pumpkin and whatever ingredients I had on hand becauseI just couldn’t fathom making another trip to the market. Then I decided to use as few ingredients as possible as an experiment.
So, here’s what’s in Winter Squash and Chipotle Soup:
- a cute little red kuri squash
- olive oil or butter
- an onion
- garlic, of course
- chipotle in adobo sauce
- cumin and garam masala
- salt and pepper
That’s it! And it turned out great and was bursting with autumn flavor too! Make sure to use a cooking pumpkin, not the large carving kind.
Serve this delicious spicy soup with the Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad – a perfect companion.
Autumn Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Enjoy this warm and cozy soup.
- 1 small pumpkin (2–1/2 pound)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 chipotles in adobo with a little sauce (depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock (I used water)
- 1–2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Cut each half into 3 equal pieces. Rub with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and roast for 30 minutes until edges start to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep soup pot, add 2 teaspoons olive oil, then add onions ad cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle and spices, stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add pumpkin and water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes then blend in a blender in batches or use an immersion blender.
- Return to pot, taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a small skillet with oil, add seeds and stir to coat all.
- Add sugar and salt and stir until sugar begins to caramelize and turn brown. Remove from heat and stir in honey.
- Place on a plate to cool.
Depending on the size of the pumpkin, you may need to add additional water.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Oven & stove
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: pumpkin soup, soup, pumpkin seeds, chipotle, fall recipe
SHARE THE RECIPE