Great make-ahead, pantry-friendly recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1–1/2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 large shallot, diced finely
- 8 thin asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces, steamed
- 1/2 zucchini cut into quarters then diced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan or a combination
- 3–4 leaves of basil chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Slightly steam the asparagus for 3 minutes then drain.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl, add milk, a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix until blended, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan on medium-high heat then add olive oil/butter. When hot, add shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes until transluscent.
- Add zucchini and sauté for 4 minutes then add asparagus.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and reduce heat to a medium to low flame. Let eggs set on the bottom, approximately 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of eggs then place the skillet under the broiler, 7-8 inches from the flame and cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the frittata because it will brown quickly. Remove when the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with basil chiffonade.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Light dinner
- Method: Stovetop & Broiler
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: frittata, omlette, eggs, mushrooms, Gruyere cheese