a super delicious light smoked trout soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 fennel bulb, stalks and fronds removed then cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup Pernod or Ouzo
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 3 small red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup of milk, cream or combination
- 8 ounces smoked trout
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, when hot, add onion, fennel and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- If using, add the Pernod or Ouzo and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and clam juice then bring to a boil. Add potatoes, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add milk or cream, lemon juice, trout and dill then cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: smoked trout, chowder, smoked trout chowder, soup, fish soup