A 5 ingredient pasta recipe. You’d never know.
- 2 fresh bell peppers or roasted peppers in a jar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pasta, rigatoni, bow ties, penne
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- A few fresh basil leaves or parsley for garnish
Preparing the peppers from scratch:
- Place peppers directly on the burner of your stove over high heat. Turn them with tongs as they cook. You want them to be blackened all over.
- Once they are black, place them in a large piece of foil and wrap them up to contiue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from foil and rub off all of the black under running water.
- Slice vertically down the middle, remove the stem and seeds then roughly chop into 2 inch pieces, or chop peppers from a jar.
Make the sauce:
- Heat a large pan with water and 2 teaspoons salt for the pasta.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil, when hot add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute.
- Add red peppers and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add pepper mixture, cashews, water and salt to a blender or food processor and continue to mix until it is a smooth. (you will still see some texture from the nuts)
- Place the mixture back into the skillet and slowly heat on low flame.
- Cook pasta, when fully cooked, scoop out the pasta and place into the sauce. Stir then add 1/2 cup of liquid from the pasta water.
- Add half of feta to pasta and continue to cook for another few minutes.
- Serve with the remainder of the feta and herbs on top.
Making peppers from scratch will take about 30 minutes.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop, blender
- Cuisine: healthy