- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 –1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 – 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- 2 cups roughly chopped arugula, spinach or Swiss Chard leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onions and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and salt, cook for 1 minute, add spices, tomatoes and chickpeas and stir.
- Add 1/2-cup water then simmer for 20 minutes.
- If mixture begins to dry out, add additional water, up to 1-1/2 cups.
- After 20 minutes, add greens, stir into stew, cover and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Finish off by stirring in vinegar and adding additional salt and pepper.
Serve this Chickpea Stew with aromatic basmati or jasmine rice.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian