A healthy Thanksgiving (or anyway) side dish.
- 1 pound green beans, I used the thin French green beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3–4 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs from croutons (recipe below) or store bought
- 4 tablespoons toasted nuts (I used a combination of hazlenuts and pecans but almonds, pinenuts or walnuts would all work here)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 3 pieces of day old bread torn into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Wash beans and snap off ends with the stem. Steam or boil in salted water for 5-6 minutes, removing them when they are still bright green and still have a little crispness to them. Run them under cool water to stop the cooking process. This step can be done ahead of time, placing the beans in a plastic bag until you are ready to finish.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil then add garlic slices and sauté on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes. Do not let garlic brown. Add beans, toss in olive oil continue to cook for 2 minutes and lemon juice and toss.
- Place on a platter, sprinkle with nut and croutons and lemon zest.
Crouton & Nut Topping
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place torn bread on half of baking sheet and nuts on other half. Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until crispy, then remove pan and let cool.
- Take a half cup croutons and crush with a rolling pin or in a bowl with a potato masher, mix with nuts and sprinkle on top of beans.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil or butter, add garlic, cook for 1 minute, add bread pieces to the pan and toss in the oil. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, tossing occasionally. If using store bought breadcrumbs, toast them in the same manner adding salt and pepper.
- Place beans on a platter then top with breadcrumb and nut mixture and serve.
You will love the homemade croutons if you have the time to make them. Use them in salads or as breadcrumbs to top off other vegetable dishes or pasta.
- Category: vegetable side dish
- Method: stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: healthy