The recipe for the sauce is for a double recipe. Freeze it or double the enchiladas!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped in 1-2 inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 1 large bunch lacinito kale, regular kale or spinach (use twice as much spinach)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few grindings of fresh pepper
- 1 cup black beans from scratch or from a can, drained of all liquid
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a combo of sharp English cheddar and jack)
- Preheat broiler.
- Place onions, whole garlic cloves and jalapeño onto a small baking sheet, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the vegetables and mix with your hands. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place under broiler, 6-8 inches from the flame. Cook until starting to color (5 minutes), toss and cook a few more minutes.
- Remove from oven, put into a small saucepan along with the tomatoes, chipotle and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then place in blender and mix until very smooth. You could pass through a sieve if you want a very refined smooth sauce.
Assembling the enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 2 inches of water to a large skillet with deep sides and bring to a boil.
- Remove thick ribs from the kale and tear into 2-3 inch pieces. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes then drain. Place pan back on medium flame, heat the oil then add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add kale and cook for 5-10 more minutes until leaves are very soft. Remove from heat.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sauce into the bottom of baking dish.
- Layout a tortilla then fill with a few spoonfuls of beans and a few spoonfuls of greens in the center of the tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in the dish with the sauce. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour additional sauce over the tortillas, cover with cheese, then bake for 2-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop & Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: enchiladas, kale, black beans, cheese, Mexican food, vegetarian