A really delicious spin on the tired old cranberry sauce. In addition to the persimmons and cranberries in this Persimmon Cranberry Salsa, there is a spicy dash of jalapeño, a floral touch from basil and the perfect bit of acidity from lime and rice vinegar.
What to serve Persimmon & Cranberry Salsa with?
You will definitely want to try this with your Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing, it elevates a turkey sandwich the day after or it works like a salsa when you serve it alongside a quesadilla.
Serve with other holiday side dishes:Print
Enjoy this salsa in place of cranberry sauce with your Thanksgiving turkey, on a turkey sandwich or with a chicken and cheese quesadilla.
- 4 Fuyu Persimmons, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 bag of fresh cranberries
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup rice or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint or basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place cranberries in a saucepan, fill with water to cover 1-inch above fruit. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the berries start to pop open. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place chopped persimmons and other ingredients into a bowl then add strained cranberries and gently stir everything together.
- Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
- You may want to add additional lime for more acidity or more honey for additional sweetness.
Fuyu persimmons are the best type to use for this recipe because they are firm and will hold their shape.
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy